About Me

My photo
19 years old from the UK, I have always loved a good book and a cup of tea, and am often asked to recommend books I have loved, thus created this blog in order to share my thoughts with whoever is interested. Please share recommendations if you wish!

Saturday 21 June 2014

We were liars - E.Lockhart


This book is not entirely what I was expecting, but then again, I am not certain as to what exactly it was that I was expecting. None the less, it is an excellent book.

I was initially intrigued by a curious review I saw on youtube (by the excellent booksandquills) where she insisted upon the books greatness. Interested, I next went to amazon to read reviews and alas I did not even get that far but shortly bought the book after seeing the description.

"Lockhart has created a mystery with an ending most readers won't see coming, one so horrific it will prompt some to return immediately to page one to figure out how they missed it." 

I am a sucker for a tragic mystery. 


This description lived up to its claims brilliantly, and after I had read the last few words it was hard to believe I had not seen this mysterious ending coming; it had indeed been so clear the whole way through. It was so hooking that I read the entire thing in a day, granted it is only 225 pages, but it really did grip me. 


The writing style employed by Lockhart is initially a different, somewhat strange, style but one that is in my opinion perfectly fitting for the story and the narration of 'Cadence' (a teenage girl), and I would be interested to read some of her other books to see if they are written in a similar way. 


I was reminded a lot of King Lear throughout the book, and really enjoyed the touches of modern approach to all sorts of issues from family life to money and racism, which were addressed in a context that I had not experienced from a book before, all be a context that I imagine is not all together that uncommon. 


If you enjoy mystery this is an excellent read but do not expect too much action as I feel that, within the context of the story, action and to some extent too much detail is not what this story has or needed. 

2 comments:

  1. I think this a great idea for a blog. I am reading 'Still Alice' by Lisa Genova at the moment. It is a brilliant book about a lady who is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. It's sad, happy, and compulsive read. I urge everyone to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Gavtheman's wife - I would love to borrow the book as what you describe so well in your blog sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete